04 January, 2009

Smoke Now! ...Be Happy Hereafter (REAL PROPAGANDA)

Look what I found at the Library of Congress site (my treasure find, it's like I won the lottery or something - see post about the old-school LOLcats):
Smoke Now!
...Be Happy Hereafter

Gonzalez & Sanchez
Havana Cigars
...for Women Only

A Story of a Spoiled Evening
By ROBERT TANNER

I'M A MAN - at least I wear trousers and No. 8 shoes and smoke and drink dopes and uster drink beer and have all the outward and visible signs of manhood and most of the inward and ingrowing vices, so I feel like I'm a regular Webster when it comes to being an authority on men's dispositions.

I know you want your husband to join you in a better world when he finally kicks out down here and while I cannot begin to tell you ALL the things that will help along that line - me not being a preacher as far as you can notice it - I can say one or two little things that are right pertinent.

Isn't this just so... old school? They could never get away with this stuff nowadays: "for Women Only" it says. I think the feminists AND the men would have a protest about this one. See the entire text here.

Stay tuned for a printable mini!

Advertising Ephemera Collection - Database #A0160
Emergence of Advertising On-Line Project
John W. Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History
Duke University Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library
http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/

Leave a Comment